D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[3.5e] Leveling the Playing Field --- Finesse versus Brute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: [3.5e] Leveling the Playing Field --- Finesse versus Brute Reply with quote

I think it's kinda unfair that Power Attack gives not 1 but +2 damage per point of BAB sacrificed with a two-handed weapon but there's no increase to Expertise's bonus depending on the weapon type.

I was thinking either something along the lines of using light weapons or a one-handed weapon with no shield or something to either give x2 or x1.5 the bonus to AC. I don't know, though, I'll think about it more later.

At the moment, someone who has the Einhander feat from Complete Warrior gets a bargain when fighting defensively when using a single one-handed melee weapon. Coupled with the Tumble synergy's (I think at least 5 ranks of Tumble are required for the feat anyway), taking a -4 to an attack nets a +5 dodge bonus to AC. Not bad, but still not great.

A potential problem would come up from this, though, because "fighting defensively" and "using combat expertise" stack. Maybe that's too much... so maybe they shouldn't. Maybe it should be as so...

Quote:
COMBAT EXPERTISE [GENERAL]
Prerequisite: Int 13.

Benefit: When you use the attack action or the full attack action in melee, you can take a penalty of as much as 5 on your attack roll and add the same number (+5 or less) as a dodge bonus to your Armor Class. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The changes to attack rolls and Armor Class last until your next action.

Normal: A character without the Combat Expertise feat can instead fight defensively while using the attack or full attack action to take a 4 penalty on attack rolls and gain a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class. This dodge bonus increases to +3 if the character has at least 5 ranks of Tumble.

Special: If you attack with [to be determined], instead add half again the number subtracted from your attack rolls.

A fighter may select Combat Expertise as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Minor Brainstorm:
Maybe Einhander can be reworded to ALSO allow a small bonus to Combat Expertise so long as a penalty as much as X is taken to the attack roll. That way, those forsaking a shield for one-handed combat get something out of it. Idunno. The "fight defensively" being different from "combat expertise" thing has always seemed odd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: