D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[4e] Characters!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: [4e] Characters! Reply with quote

So, I'm sure I'm late to the party with this, but the pre-generated 1st level characters from DDE are here (click on "Character Sheets").

Looks pretty good to me. Combined with the info in these two ENWorld threads, we could pretty much play a preview session whenever we wanted! Hat Squad 4e, anyone? Wink

-Will
izzat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ridiculous? How can we play using only 1st level characters? What if we got enough experien-

Oh.

Well I'll be damned. Hat Squad is D&D 4E.
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ok, i liked this the first time when it was called World of Warcraft. I've said it before and I'll say it again. 4E is a pen and paper version of WoW, which is fine, but the nerds a Wizards should stop pretending like they came up with some awesome innovation. All the new "no down time" crap and everyone having something to do is strait outta WoW and the Wizards jerks should just admit it. And I don't buy this crap that 4E is going to feel like 1E. From what I've seen, it's not really anything like old DnD at all. It's gonna feel like playing a video game, but with worst graphics, ha!

The core mechanics sound a lot better then 3x though, It'll just take me some time to get used to it I guess. From looking at the character sheets, the classes feel more like fantasy superheros then anything else.

The cleric hardly has any healing abilities, I guess this is good, but the class didn't really seem like a cleric to me. I better take a second look, as my first was brief.

I hate DnD too, just so you guys know. I <3 WoW though, so now I'm confused and enraged! WnW for the wins! Also other stuff and things...oh and when I played Rock Band with Mike, I was able to handle the drums by myself for the most part, yea! Thunderballs rulz1!!on3!111
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah and I'm gonna totally run a 4E game.
Will

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing to remember with the cleric is that he's only 1st level. 1st level 3e clerics can't heal that much either.

3e cleric with 15 Wis: two cure light wounds spells and three cure minor wounds spells for 2d8+5 = 14 points per day, on average. Also, doing this means he can't do anything else except whack people with his mace and turn undead.

4e cleric (Erais): Healing Word for 1d6+4, twice per encounter, for an average of 15 hp per encounter. It uses the target's healing surge, which is a little weird, and I'm not sure how it will affect things. Still, it's better than the 3e cleric, and he also gets an at-will power that grants 2 temp hp to a buddy... Also, I think characters get to choose their powers from a list, and Erais's character sheet may just be one possible configuration.

I'm sure 4e borrows some stuff from WoW, which in turn took damn near everything it's got from D&D. Smile I don't even play WoW, and I'm fine with it, so I don't really understand the nerd rage I see so often...

-Will!
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have a problem with the 4e cleric, it was just surprising to see so little healing, but I didn't realize it could be used twice per encounter. Using up your target's healing surge sounds weird to me also, but I have to look over it again, my memory is hazy on the 4e class examples.

WoW taking damn near everything from D&D is not really accurate I think. I mean yea its fantasy, but they made up their own class system, which is what DnD 4e seems to be based off of. This is fine, but they (Wizards) should admit that they were heavily influenced by WoW. This is the source of my "nerd" rage, though really i wouldn't define my feelings as rage, I'd say it's more of a righteous anger. RIGHTEOUS ANGER!!!!

I wanna talk about 4e!!! ROARY ROAR ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quakemonkey wrote:
WoW taking damn near everything from D&D is not really accurate I think. I mean yea its fantasy, but they made up their own class system, which is what DnD 4e seems to be based off of.

And where did the idea of "classes" come from? Smile How about XP? Levels? etc., etc.

To be clear, I'm not saying Blizzard didn't have any innovations -- far from it. But, obviously, without D&D (and a host of other games), WoW wouldn't exist. Not the same WoW, at least.

quakemonkey wrote:
This is fine, but they (Wizards) should admit that they were heavily influenced by WoW.

I'm pretty sure they have. I think I've seen the designers talk about the sort of mutual feedback loop pen-and-paper game design shares with computer game design. They're not the same kind of game, but there are elements of each that are common. In other words, if something that is fun about WoW could be used in D&D to make D&D more fun, why not adapt the idea?

quakemonkey wrote:
This is the source of my "nerd" rage, though really i wouldn't define my feelings as rage, I'd say it's more of a righteous anger. RIGHTEOUS ANGER!!!!

HONEST PRIDE!!!!!!!!!

-Will!!!!!!!!!
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your missing my point. What I'm trying to say is I'm right and your wrong. I hope that is clearer : )

Seriously though, I think 4e is gonna be really fun to play and run. I just like to grumble about things.

Quote:
To be clear, I'm not saying Blizzard didn't have any innovations -- far from it. But, obviously, without D&D (and a host of other games), WoW wouldn't exist. Not the same WoW, at least.

Yeah WoW would have been perfect instead of being nearly perfect : )

Quote:
I think I've seen the designers talk about the sort of mutual feedback loop pen-and-paper game design shares with computer game design.

Yeah I've seen it too, but the designers weren't sincere enough for my liking and they need to grovel more!

I really enjoyed WoW, so I think 4e is right up my alley, but it is sad that 4e is such a different game then 3.5. I wish there was some way to keep most of 3.5, feel included and just fix all the problems.

But maybe this new pathfinder thing does that?
Will

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of possible interest might be Monte Cook's new Book of Experimental Might -- basically a compilation of house rules he's come up with over the years, because, well, D&D Is Broken And He Knows How To Fix It. Wink

I should actually buy it. It sounds interesting and it's only $9 (PDF).

-Will!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: