D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[4E] dragon breath

View previous topic :: View next topic  
izzat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: [4E] dragon breath Reply with quote

From enworld. It's on the front page, but I can't link directly to it.
Quote:
Furthermore, the dragon's breath weapon did not have the standard 3.x times/day regulation. Instead, his breath weapon "recharged" the DM rolled a d6 to determine if the weapon was ready for use, again. If Andy rolled a 5 or higher, the dragon would have been able to use his breath weapon a second time. Andy noted after the game that the
design team was trying to get away from "durations" for most lasting effects. Instead, they were replacing them with a save-like mechanic you cannot repeat X-action (or stop taking damage) until you have rolled Y or higher on a dZ.

I like this idea. It's an inversion of the alternate rules of "recharge magic," which I like in theory, but in practice seems to create a "See you in 8 minutes!" scenario over and over.

With this option, there's a chance you can do something twice in an encounter. I find that preferable to the "once per encounter" mechanic that PCs now have.

Adapting it to 3.5 would play hell with metabreath feats, though.
Glammo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most dragons' breath weapons didn't have the "standard" 3.x times/day thing already. It's every 1d4 rounds. The playtester can't keep track of 3E minutae! This must mean 4E sucks! Nar nar nar! Wink

...anyway, it seems like 4E doesn't take duration away, it just makes it undefined. I really don't know yet if that's any better or not.

This doesn't seem so bad for monsters. In the case of the dragon, it seems to reverse the process. Don't figure out what round you get the breath back, just keep rolling until the law of averages makes it happen in about 2 rounds (as opposed to 2.5). My only concern is this: Will all/most monsters have this mechanic to replace 1/day things? I wonder if this is counter-intuitive to the whole 4E "less-record-keeping" gimmick. If there are multiple monsters in an encounter, doesn't this just amount to that many more things for the DM to remember? I'd rather tick a 1/day checkbox and be done with it.

At any rate... Signature, take it away!
Will

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that poster messed up -- maybe he meant the 1d4-round recharge time, rather than an x/day mechanic. It's certainly a much closer analog. Instead of tracking rounds for a duration, you just roll to see if the spell expires each round. That requires no more bookkeeping than ticking that "1/day check box" you mention.

I like it. From what we've heard, x/day mechanics are definitely still in, but keeping track of durations is the dodo. Wheee!

-Will
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: