D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raising the Stakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Raising the Stakes Reply with quote

http://esix.pbwiki.com/f/RaisingtheStakes.pdf

Thoughts?

-Will
Glammo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first part looks like what they're doing with 4e. I wonder if that affects odds in any real way. I mean, that makes high rolls on dice always desirable... where before bad rolls were desirable when the DM is rolling. I can't tell if this thinking is gambler's fallacy or the law of averages.

The raises look interesting... looks like Thomas's "Do it, it'll be Legendary!" written in rules mechanics form.

The convictions might be a bit much though. It brings back 3.0 haste. Do the action points in Eberron work that way, too?
izzat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... It's an interesting idea. I wonder how it would play out with our group. Some folks might like having the extra rolls, whereas others named Brigid* might not get anything out of it.

This might be something we can try as a one shot sometime. I nominate Brigid to DM. That way she doesn't have to bother with the dice.

*If you can't tell who I'm referring to, I'm talking about Brigid.
Will

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually far more interested in the conviction/death flag stuff and the raises than I am in the "players roll everything" part. (Incidentally, Mike, I'm pretty sure the odds stay the same. I can't think of any reason why they couldn't or shouldn't.)

The main thing that interests me about the Conviction rules is the Death Flag part. My beef with death in D&D is that it's at least as much a punishment for the player as it is for the character. You basically have to sit out of the game until you get rezzed, or finish statting up a new character (who then must be "worked into the game" properly). If the timing's right, this can work out all right, but if not, you could find yourself watching your friends play D&D for three hours.

I've never come up with a really good solution to the problem, sadly. I'm not wild about just removing death, or nerfing it hard, but something like this could be okay. Maybe. Hard to say. I think the REAL answer is to make character creation a lot faster, and/or to make resurrection a lot more accessible. The former's too much to expect for a simple game hack, but maybe the latter? Hmm....

The stake-raising thing is kind of like Iron Heroes's combat challenges (take a penalty to this roll to get a bonus on this other one) and stunts (think up something awesome to do in battle; roll an appropriate skill check; if you succeed on that and on your attack roll, you get a neat special effect). Just more free-form.

-Will
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wrote:
...or to make resurrection a lot more accessible.

I heard the Ghostwalk campaign thing from Monte Cook examines this. Something about the campaign setting makes resurrecting a lot easier. I've always wanted to take a look at it for that reason.
izzat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility to fix dead PC problem is a larger threshold between unconscious/dying and dead. There are plenty of ways to do this: more negative hit points, creating a torpor state, Nik's Fort Save system.

I wouldn't worry too much about save or die effects, because by the time those come up, players are likely to have access to Raise Dead, Resurrection, or Raise Dead, Except You're a Kobold Now themselves.
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzat wrote:
Raise Dead, Except You're a Kobold Now

Maybe that's what Vence needs. Glammo became who he was after he was turned into a kobold and then turned into a human but still a kobold until he was granted some sort of wish that made him turn back into a human. All this while he was working on turning into a dragonman.

...but not the kobold kind of dragonman.
izzat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vence is now a kobold.

And female.
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vence lays an egg.
Will

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glammo wrote:
I heard the Ghostwalk campaign thing from Monte Cook examines this. Something about the campaign setting makes resurrecting a lot easier. I've always wanted to take a look at it for that reason.

I do actually have Ghostwalk. It's a neat idea, but I think it requires that the setting support it. It'd be awesome for a game with a setting incorporating ancient Greek mythology, in which heroes can physically travel to the underworld and back.

izzat wrote:
Another possibility to fix dead PC problem is a larger threshold between unconscious/dying and dead. There are plenty of ways to do this: more negative hit points, creating a torpor state, Nik's Fort Save system.

These don't so much fix the problem as make its manifestations less frequent. I mean, it helps, but there'll still be times when a character dies and the player can't play for a while.

One thing that might help -- and it's easier said than done -- is keeping the game interesting for players whose characters aren't involved in it. This sort of thing would be everyone's individual responsibility. I couldn't help but notice that in last week's game (Dec. 9), when the party split up, everyone else was talking about unrelated stuff (or surfing the web, or otherwise not paying attention) while Thomas was dealing with Arlanna and Ginger at the sanitorarium.

Also, there's often the assumption that players whose characters aren't present in a scene aren't allowed to contribute to it, which is bunk.
izzat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, snap! The other players should have been other inmates! What a missed opportunity!
Glammo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have certainly been odd being Rook again... even for a moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: