D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[4E] Points of Light

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: [4E] Points of Light Reply with quote

From http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20070829a

Quote:
The Dungeons & Dragons game assumes many things about its setting: The world is populated by a variety of intelligent races, strange monsters lurk on other planes, ancient empires have left ruins across the face of the world, and so on. But one of the new key conceits about the D&D world is simply this: Civilized folk live in small, isolated points of light scattered across a big, dark, dangerous world.

Most of the world is monster-haunted wilderness. The centers of civilization are few and far between, and the world isnít carved up between nation-states that jealously enforce their borders. A few difficult and dangerous roads tenuously link neighboring cities together, but if you stray from them you quickly find yourself immersed in goblin-infested forests, haunted barrowfields, desolate hills and marshes, and monster-hunted badlands. Anything could be waiting down that old overgrown dwarf-built road: a den of ogre marauders, a forgotten tower where a lamia awaits careless travelers, a trollís cave, a lonely human village under the sway of a demonic cult, or a black wood where shadows and ghosts thirst for the blood of the living.

Given the perilous nature of the world around the small islands of civilization, many adventures revolve around venturing into the wild lands. For example:

• Roads are often closed by bandits, marauders such as goblins or gnolls, or hungry monsters such as griffons or dragons. The simple mission of driving off whomever or whatever is preying on unfortunate travelers is how many young heroes begin their careers.

• Since towns and villages do not stay in close contact, itís easy for all sorts of evils to befall a settlement without anyone noticing for a long time. A village might be terrorized by a pack of werewolves or enslaved by an evil wizard, and no one else would know until adventurers stumbled into the situation.

• Many small settlements and strongholds are founded, flourish for a time, and then fall into darkness. The wild lands are filled with forgotten towers, abandoned towns, haunted castles, and ruined temples. Even people living only a few miles away from such places might know them only by rumor and legend.

The common folk of the world look upon the wild lands with dread. Few people are widely traveledóeven the most ambitious merchant is careful to stick to better-known roads. The lands between towns or homesteads are wide and empty. It might be safe enough within a dayís ride of a city or an hourís walk of a village, but go beyond that and you are taking your life into your hands. People are scared of what might be waiting in the old forest or beyond the barren hills at the far end of the valley, because whatever is out there is most likely hungry and hostile. Striking off into untraveled lands is something only heroes and adventurers do.

Another implication of this basic conceit of the world is that there is very little in the way of authority to deal with raiders and marauders, outbreaks of demon worship, rampaging monsters, deadly hauntings, or similar local problems. Settlements afflicted by troubles can only hope for a band of heroes to arrive and set things right. If there is a kingdom beyond the townís walls, itís still largely covered by unexplored forest and desolate hills where evil folk gather. The kingís soldiers might do a passable job of keeping the lands within a few miles of his castle free of monsters and bandits, but most of the realmís outlying towns and villages are on their own.

In such a world, adventurers are aberrant. Commoners view them as brave at best, and insane at worst. But such a world is rife with the possibility for adventure, and no true hero will ever lack for a villain to vanquish or a quest to pursue.

I am loving this. It plays right into the ideas I mentioned this weekend regarding the uniqueness of the PCs as adventurers. What do you guys think?

-Will
izzat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This strikes me as an introduction to a new setting, rather than a new game.

If they're so gung ho for a new setting, maybe they shouldn't bother updating Eberron and Forgotten Realms, since those seem far removed from the description above.

I dunno. I know it's still early, but there seems to be a disparity between what they describe and what they release.
Will

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, someone from WotC has already mentioned that we shouldn't assume that FR and Eberron will be in line with this idea; it's just the rule set's implied setting. Most games these days have one. Full, published campaign settings just override that default setting.

Also, I should mention that FR and Eberron, as well as most other campaign settings, contain at least some areas similar to what is described in the original post. So they're not entirely incompatible.

I guess it's no big deal, really...but I dig the sound and feel of it.

-Will
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really doesn't' make much sense to me. It's kinda a post apocalyptic setting, or it is i guess? If all these bad ass monsters are running around ownin most of everything and most humans aren't adventurous, nor are they able to deal with the monsters that swim in the "sea" around them, then how the heck do they even survive long enough to settle a "point of light"? I mean if I were a dragon, troll, whatever and I found an area full of tasty, fairly easy to harvest meat bags, I would get a few of my friends together and go eat shit, till there was no more shit to eat.

If I ignore all that, its cool though. I see what they are going for at least.

- nik

p.s. as always I have a lot more to say on the subject then I'm willing to write out. Summing up my feelings = I like it, but I don't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: