D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DND 4th edition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
izzat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: DND 4th edition Reply with quote

Well, just as I'm getting ramped up for Pathfinder, I find out that 3.5 has a shelf life of a year. 4th edition is on its way.

I'm of two minds on the subject. For kicking it mid-school, there's plenty of existing material to keep me occupied, as a player and a DM, for years. But there won't be anything NEW. Even though 3.0/3.5 will remain OGL, companies will either shift to 4th or run their own 3rd-like system (Castles and Crusades, Trolls and Tunnels, etc.)

So if I update? Well, time to learn a new system. I'm just now getting comfortable with the strengths and weaknesses of 3.5 as a DM, and now there's a whole new ruleset for new players to forget and savvy players to exploit. Also, my money bush doesn't work. So I might not want to buy a new set of three, and later ten books.

Your thoughts?
cfredrickson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Why? Reply with quote

What is the diff between 3.5 and 4? Are there any software packages? What is really broken in 3.5 that needs fixing
Will

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just heard about this a few hours ago. Craziness, but I'm kinda stoked.

First, I'm not planning on buying a million supplements for 4e like I did for 3e. I mean, you never know, but I found that they just weren't that useful in 3e, and it got to the point where I wasn't even reading them anymore -- just buying them.

Second, some of what they have lined up sounds cool. Fighters with Book of Nine Swords-ish powers, wizards able to work their magic mojo all day long and then some, spreading the "sweet spot" across more (all, if you believe Andy Collins) levels, and such. It sounds like they're trying to make things interesting, yet playable, from 1st to 30th level, which should make people on both extremes (Ed's frustration with low-level games and your own frustration with high-level ones) happy.

My main hope is that they clarify -- strongly, in a no-bones-about-it way -- how the game is meant to be played, and how to prep for it. Each group can obviously figure out how they want to play on their own, but it'd be nice to have a firm baseline. And prep is damn near impossible in 3e without keeping the scope of the game and play style reasonable.

Anyway, I wait with bated breath.
izzat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the diff between 3.5 and 4? Are there any software packages? What is really broken in 3.5 that needs fixing?

To address Christian's questions: Quite a bit; there will be a lot of Online content, including what sounds like online play and digital dungeon creation; grappling, monster advancement and f1trs R sux0rs.
Will

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. If you want to know more, check out all the 4E interview and promotional vids on YouTube.
izzat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've been doing a lot of whining about 4th Edition, I'm going to take a moment to talk about stuff that I think is a very good idea.

-Less reliance on magic items
-Wider level range
-Talent trees
-Defocus on Vancian magic

I also think the following could be very cool, although it depends on how they implement them.

-Racial feats
-25th level spells
-DR changes
-Revised grappling
-"Points of light in a dark world"

(This list was made using enworld's poll, since the actual information on the changes is still very spotty.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: