D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[OGL] Fear
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snarf snarf snarf snarf!!! wrote:
FEAR
Spells, magic items, and certain monsters can affect characters with fear. In most cases, the character makes a Will saving throw to resist this effect, and a failed roll means that the character is shaken, frightened, or panicked.

Shaken: Characters who are shaken take a 2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Frightened: Characters who are frightened are shaken, and, unless they flee from the source of their fear as quickly as they can, they may take one standard action or one move action per turn (this move action cannot be used to move closer to the source of fear unless it is the only way to get away). If they choose to run, they can choose the path of their flight. Once they are out of sight (or hearing) of the source of their fear, they can act as they want (provided they don't purposely move back towards the source of their fear). However, if the duration of their fear continues, the penalty may increase once more if the source of their fear presents itself again.

Panicked: Characters who are panicked are shaken, and must run away from the source of their fear as quickly as they can unless they succeed on a Will saving throw equal to the DC of the effect that produced the panicked condition (if there is no DC, use 10 + the affecting creature's HD / 2 + Cha bonus) at the beginning of their turn in a round. If they succeed, they may take one standard action or one move action per turn (this move action cannot be used to move closer to the source of fear unless it is the only way to get away). Panicked characters cower if they are prevented from fleeing.

Becoming Even More Fearful: Fear effects are cumulative. A shaken character who is made shaken again becomes frightened, and a shaken character who is made frightened becomes panicked instead. A frightened character who is made shaken or frightened becomes panicked instead.

Cowering: The character is overcome with fear and may take no actions unless he, at the beginning of their turn in a round, succeeds on a Will saving throw equal to the DC of the effect that produced the cowering condition (if there is no DC, use 10 + the affecting creature's HD / 2 + Cha bonus). If successful, the cowering character may make a move action to get away from the creature causing this fear effect. Upon failing, a cowering character takes a 2 penalty to Armor Class, loses her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), and cannot take any action.

There. I win.
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wrote:
I was changing my mind because you convinced me of something, cow!
FIFY

You bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glammo wrote:
There. I win.

Yeah, you win!
Glammo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idunno, I still wonder if panicked creatures should just be reduced to complete wusses like in Will's. Very Happy

How many effects cause panic, really? Frightened was the most common, I thought...

...I will have to look into this.
Will

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A handful of monsters and spells...more than I thought, honestly, but not all that many.

Srsly, Valeros should just stay home.
Glammo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked through the SRD. Actually, panicked is more common than frightened (especially considering the fear spell is a more common spell-like ability than the cause fear and scare spells).

Jeez!
Will

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess technically it's only as common as the DM/module author makes it. I only recall fear effects like that coming up a few times, ever, in our games.

Maybe it's like save-or-dies. There are plenty of them in the game, but I only remember having to save against them a couple of times, ever.
Glammo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably doesn't come up because it sucks and isn't interesting.

If we can make it interesting, that's great. Cuz fear should suck. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: