D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[OGL] Fear
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glammo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: [OGL] Fear Reply with quote

The SRD + my brain wrote:
FEAR
Spells, magic items, and certain monsters can affect characters with fear. In most cases, the character makes a Will saving throw to resist this effect, and a failed roll means that the character is shaken, frightened, or panicked.

Shaken: Characters who are shaken take a 2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Frightened: Characters who are frightened are shaken, and, unless they flee from the source of their fear as quickly as they can, the penalty increases to -4. If they choose to run, they can choose the path of their flight. Once they are out of sight (or hearing) of the source of their fear, the penalty is reduced back to -2 as if shaken. However, if the duration of their fear continues, the penalty may increase once more if the source of their fear presents itself again.

Panicked: Characters who are panicked are frightened, and they run away from the source of their fear as quickly as they can. In addition to running away from the source, they take a -4 penalty against all other dangers that confront them. Panicked characters cower if they are prevented from fleeing.

Becoming Even More Fearful: Fear effects are cumulative. A shaken character who is made shaken again becomes frightened, and a shaken character who is made frightened becomes panicked instead. A frightened character who is made shaken or frightened becomes panicked instead.

What do you think? Fear certainly takes the fun out of an encounter for the players who are affected. It pretty much just wastes time if the rest of the party can distance itself for long enough and just skips turns otherwise. Kinda blah.

If this works for everyone, my next target will be confusion.
Glammo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there would have to be some adjudicating with "panicked" to make sure that the character is reasonably away from the source of fear. You wouldn't just stop once it's out of sight, you'd want to make sure the thing can't get you at all.

Still, it's better than saying the character takes a random path. I think the random path idea was one of those mistakes of trying to make things simpler in lue of letting the DM make a decision.
Will

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig. Two thoughts:

1. These conditions still don't stack with themselves if they're from the same source, right? If I cast cause fear on someone and they become frightened, I can't cast it again to make them panicked, right?
  2. Have you considered giving players the option of taking a penalty (say, -8) on rolls to avoid fleeing when panicked? The downside is that doing so rather feels un-panicky.

-Will

Last edited by Will on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Glammo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I think so. I'm not sure if that's written done in the RAW, but I would say so.

2. I thought about it, but I came the same opinion... that it's not very panic-esque at all. I understand why it still sucks to have a PC under this condition, but I'm just not sure if I want to completely do away with it yet. At least the player still has some control over what his character does, though he has to get the hell out of there (though I may want to take a look at "cowering" while I'm at it).
Glammo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRD + my brain wrote:
Cowering: The character is overcome with fear and may take no actions unless he, at the beginning of their turn in a round, succeeds on a Will saving throw equal to the DC of the effect that produced the cowering condition (if there is no DC, use 10 + the affecting creature's HD / 2 + Cha bonus). If successful, the cowering character may make either a move action to get away from the creature causing this fear effect or a standard action if cornered. Upon failing, a cowering character loses her Dexterity bonus (if any) and cannot take any action.

How about that? That way, if you're stuck in a room, you can still do stuff maybe.
Glammo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may want to add a Will save to "frightened" to be able to move closer to the creature causing the fear effect...

Or not... Idunno. Maybe this nerfs lol fear enough by itself.
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: [OGL] Fear Reply with quote

How about this version of Mike's version?

Fear is Scary wrote:
FEAR
Spells, magic items, and certain monsters can affect characters with fear. In most cases, the character makes a Will saving throw to resist this effect, and a failed roll means that the character is shaken, frightened, or panicked.

Shaken: Characters who are shaken take a 2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Frightened: Characters who are frightened are shaken, and, unless they flee from the source of their fear as quickly as they can, they may only take one standard action per turn. If they choose to run, they can choose the path of their flight. Once they are out of sight (or hearing) of the source of their fear, they can act as they want. However, if the duration of their fear continues, characters can be forced to decide once more between fleeing or being limited to one standard action per turn if the source of their fear presents itself again.

Panicked: Characters who are panicked are shaken, and must run away from the source of their fear as quickly as they can unless they succeed on a Will saving throw equal to the DC of the effect that produced the panicked condition (if there is no DC, use 10 + the affecting creature's HD / 2 + Cha bonus) at the beginning of their turn in a round. If they succeed, they may only take one standard action per round. If they fail the Will saving throw, but encounter another danger while fleeing, they are allowed another Will saving throw. Panicked characters that fail their Will saving throw cower if they are prevented from fleeing. The Will saving throw to avoid fleeing may be made once per round until successful or the fear effect's duration expires.

Becoming Even More Fearful: Fear effects are cumulative. A shaken character who is made shaken again becomes frightened, and a shaken character who is made frightened becomes panicked instead. A frightened character who is made shaken or frightened becomes panicked instead.

Cowering: Characters who are cowering are shaken. Cowering characters are overcome with fear and may take no actions unless they, at the beginning of their turn in a round, succeed on a Will saving throw equal to the DC of the effect that produced the cowering condition (if there is no DC, use 10 + the affecting creature's HD / 2 + Cha bonus). If successful, the cowering character may make either a move action to get away from the creature causing this fear effect or if cornered, they must take the full defense option until an opportunity to escape presents itself or they are no longer cowering. Upon failing, cowering characters lose their Dexterity bonus (if any) and cannot take any action. The Will saving throw to avoid cowering may be made once per round until successful or the fear effect's duration expires.

Mike's original stuff for Will!!!!
Glammo wrote:
FEAR

Frightened: Characters who are frightened are shaken, and, unless they flee from the source of their fear as quickly as they can, the penalty increases to -4. If they choose to run, they can choose the path of their flight. Once they are out of sight (or hearing) of the source of their fear, the penalty is reduced back to -2 as if shaken. However, if the duration of their fear continues, the penalty may increase once more if the source of their fear presents itself again.

Panicked: Characters who are panicked are frightened, and they run away from the source of their fear as quickly as they can. In addition to running away from the source, they take a -4 penalty against all other dangers that confront them. Panicked characters cower if they are prevented from fleeing.

Cowering: The character is overcome with fear and may take no actions unless he, at the beginning of their turn in a round, succeeds on a Will saving throw equal to the DC of the effect that produced the cowering condition (if there is no DC, use 10 + the affecting creature's HD / 2 + Cha bonus). If successful, the cowering character may make either a move action to get away from the creature causing this fear effect or a standard action if cornered. Upon failing, a cowering character loses her Dexterity bonus (if any) and cannot take any action.

Last edited by quakemonkey on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Will

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ow. My brane hurts. What did you change from Mike's version?

I'm leaning towards the following, myself:

PHEAR wrote:

Shaken: Characters who are shaken are whiny little bitches.

Frightened: Characters who are frightened are whiny little bitches, and are also great big 'fraidy-cats.

Panicked: Characters who are panicked are whiny little bitches, and are also yellow-bellied pansies.

Becoming Even More Fearful: Fear effects are fearsome.

Cowering: Characters who are cowering are cowards, in addition to being whiny little bitches.

amidoinitrite?
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durrr I don't know!!!

I turned all the stuff I made up in red. I may have missed some or turned to much red, but it's my best guess (i'm too lazy to go back and compare!)

I also added Mike's original stuff to my post.

Also your version wins!! It's so simple and easy to understand!@!!
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't feel like reading it! TLDR!!!!!!

I don't like the saving throw at panicked. What if you're panicked AND cowering, especially since cowering can come out of being panicked.

I like mine better, for panicked at least. With cowering, you're right, not just any standard action should be possible. I don't know about full defense, though... wild melee swings seem reasonable. Spellcasting shouldn't be.
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glammo wrote:
I still don't feel like reading it! TLDR!!!!!!

Whats TLDR mean?

Glammo wrote:
I don't like the saving throw at panicked. What if you're panicked AND cowering, especially since cowering can come out of being panicked.

I do, it makes panicked a worse version of frightened, without forcing the PC to move away or have worry about additional modifiers beyond being shaken. So you always know that no matter what state of fear you are suffering from it's a -2. But having a chance to not be forced to run away (and miss out on all the fun) is the most important part I think.

If your panicked and cowering then you are cowering. If you make the cowering save and are able to move away, that is all you can do until you are no longer cowering. The full defense was just a way of making a cowering PC not look like such a bitch. You could just say that if you are cowering and make the save and you are cornered, then you must take a move action to move away from the enemy even if you draw attacks of opportunity. If you fail the save you are still just a pile of crying uselessness.

Glammo wrote:
I like mine better, for panicked at least. With cowering, you're right, not just any standard action should be possible. I don't know about full defense, though... wild melee swings seem reasonable. Spellcasting shouldn't be.

Why are you mentioning spellcasting? Can you do that while in full defense? I thought full defense was a full round action that granted a AC bonus, but you can take no actions.
Will

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quakemonkey wrote:
Whats TLDR mean?

It means the internets are your friend. Smile
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhhh....

ok, i'm crying now : (
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quakemonkey wrote:
Why are you mentioning spellcasting? Can you do that while in full defense? I thought full defense was a full round action that granted a AC bonus, but you can take no actions.

No, it's just that my version would have allowed a standard action. Which I now don't want to give.

I was changing my mind because you convinced me of something, manling!
Will

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glammo wrote:
I was changing my mind because you convinced me of something, cow!

FIFY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: