D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

House Rule: Criticals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
izzat

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: House Rule: Criticals Reply with quote

Based on the beta and discussion of the PF Final release, I will likely discontinue the rule that lets Keen/Improved Critical/similar effects stack.

1. More creatures are subject to criticals, tipping the damage output in favor of crit-based characters.

2. There are now ways to automatically confirm criticals. Admittedly, at least two are "capstone abilities" but we also have the barb power Mighty Swing, the Ranger's Quarry feature, and the destruction domain. There are other abilities that make confirming criticals easier, if not automatic. (See Critical Focus.) These powers/abilities were designed with the limitation in mind.

This puts the ceiling for critical range at 15-20 for a character that commits to it, which is still a healthy 30% of all attacks.

Last edited by izzat on Thu May 14, 2009 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glammo

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

HOUSE RULE REVOKED!
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a "Capstone Ability"?
Glammo

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20th level ability.
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, is there a solution to the whole, "if they don't stack, why should I waste a feat on improved critical" argument?

How about the house rule i used in the FR game. If you have Improved Crit and Keen, then the crit multiplier increases by one (x2 = x3) or is that still too much damage output to be balanced?
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glammo wrote:
20th level ability.

Ah...so basically an ability you will never get? Or wait, they are trying to make playing to 20th level more practical right?
izzat

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quakemonkey wrote:
Also, is there a solution to the whole, "if they don't stack, why should I waste a feat on improved critical" argument?

Maybe. There are now a host of feats with the "Critical" subtype, although only one explicitly requires Improved Critical at last read. (Powerful Critical). Another feat requires at least two other Critical Feats, and I assume that Imp Crit would qualify.
Will

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I don't know that Improved Critical isn't generally worth taking if it doesn't stack with keen. After all, weapon enhancements are expensive.
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but feats seem more valuable. And i would take the keen enchantment over a +1 enchantment any day, unless of course the weapon had a crit range of 20. Then probably not.

but anyway, I was just curious mostly. Either way is fine with me. I just heard that in 3.5 a lot of people would never take improved crit cuz it was considered to mostly be a waste of a feat.

I also kinda think it's poor game design. Just like the sunder rules are, since no one in their right mind would run around destroying magic shit. And it's not like you fight hydras everyday. At least I don't! I bet keen is there for folks that aren't getting the bonus fighter feats, but wanna still have an improved crit mechanic. Still weak design! It's one of their stupid feats that they put in for a reason, but forgot to tell people what that reason was.

I'm writing Wizards an email and then using the gmail time warp email option to send it back to them 6 years ago! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: