D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> Curse of the Crimson Throne
View previous topic :: View next topic  
izzat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: PC Thread Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the mechanics of this character, but I like him, so here's the fluff.

CHIRARD

Chirard Moll is a the second or possibly third son in a dock family, born within seconds of his twin brother Chardir. As is customary for newer noble houses, the first son continues the tradition of representing their family and working with the state, while the second son enters the military and the third son joins the clergy. Due to the confusion stemming from the twins' births, the brothers split the difference and made composite careers. Chirard joined the martial arm of Abadar, the very backbone of law and civilization. Although fairly adept with sword and shield, the city could not afford as many of Abadar's warriors as it had, and Chirard had to select a different field to earn his keep. He rechristened himself in the Lawkeeper's Wing, and serves as an advocate.

Chirard is defending for a merchant accused of murder. The merchant protests his innocence, but a local fisherman identified him as the man who stabbed a young orphan in the Shingles, and the murder weapon was found in his home. Chirard approached the witness privately, but discovered the fisherman nearly dead from poison. The fisherman recanted his statement on his deathbed, saying he was coerced by Gaedren Lamm to pin the murder on the merchant. Now Chriard must find Lamm and bring him to justice, for there is no place in civilization for an innocent man to receive the lawbreaker's blade.

*The eldest Moll, Chelton, works for the Korvosan bureaeucracy. His twin Chardir is a healer for the faith of Iomedae.

*Chirard lives in East Shore.

*Chirard is 343rd in line for the crown. Or 344th.

Will

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am gripped with a sudden desire to play Chardir. Very Happy Although I might be tired of playing clerics. Hmm.

-Will!
izzat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I can change my backstory and make your warrior king the murder suspect. We go on crazy adventures to prove your innocence!
Glammo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like.

Will, what's this warrior king you speak of?

Nik, get a computer already!

...Nik? Come on, Nik! Quit ignoring me! Very Happy
Glammo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: PC Thread Reply with quote

izzat wrote:
Chirard Moll is a the second or possibly third son in a dock family, born within seconds of his twin brother Chardir. As is customary for newer noble houses...

Wait... newer? How new can your family be a newer noble house if it's a Dock Family? Dock Families were established prior to the Cousins' War in 4502. It's 4708 at the start of the campaign.

Pathfinder nerd RAGE!!!

Smile Smile Smile

We can just say you became a "dock family" upon purchasing a pier on East Shore so your family charges that berthing fee. Or something.

You're almost certainly a Chelaxian. Is this correct?
izzat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should have said "minor" rather than "newer." I lifted the bit about the sons from british tradition, but I didn't want to step on the toes of any pending details about Chelexian tradition.

The family would definitely be Chelexian.
Glammo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzat wrote:
I lifted the bit about the sons from british tradition, but I didn't want to step on the toes of any pending details about Chelexian tradition.

That should work. A lot of houses in Korvosa have military backgrounds (the LN city was founded from war and conflict, after all), so it makes sense.
Will

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: My Guy (TM) Reply with quote

Okay, so here is what I am thinking: a Shoanti sorcerer (Infernal bloodline). When he hit puberty, he began manifesting sorcerous powers. Distrustful of magic, his tribe cast him out for being so "different" (insert angst here). He fled to the nearby city of Korvosa, where he lived as a street urchin for a time, nurturing the fury he felt at his "family" while doing what he had to to survive.

When he was sixteen, he fell in with Gaedren Lamm's crew. Lamm took him off the street and gave him gainful employment as a thug. This was all well and good, when the job was just roughing up other criminals in the city, but when Lamm ordered him to murder a family for failing to pay a debt to him, that was the last straw. The Shoanti refused. Lamm (or one of his cronies) took care of the killing himself, and Lamm decided the disobedient Shoanti should take the fall for the family's murder.

...and from there, it goes on into the "Framed:Dropout" background in the Player's Guide. If possible, though, I'd rather take a +2 to Intimidate checks ('cause people think this guy's a stone-cold killer) than a +2 to Spellcraft. He doesn't really know jack about magic.

His plans for the future include taking the Leadership feat (Mike, you cool with that?) and (probably inadvertently) building his own tribe, ultimately waging war on the tribe that abandoned him. (Mike, don't panic - just like with Arlanna, we don't have to go through with that part; maybe it happens after the campaign ends, and we can either play through it or leave it unresolved. Or we can do it, but as an almost glossed-over side thing. We can play it by ear.)

What do y'alls think???

-Will
izzat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him, I like him! I liked him first! Before I even read about him I liked him! You hate him compared to how much I like him!

Does his infernal heritage have anything to do with Korvosa or the Academae?
Will

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea! I'll have to read/think about that. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know, anyway.

Also, Mike, now that I think about it, +2 to Spellcraft is fine. I forgot that they folded Concentration into it. Also, I can play it as him just innately knowing how magicky stuff works, although he doesn't know how he knows. Weeeeeeeee!

-Will
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: My Guy (TM) Reply with quote

Those imps snuck in a few a long time ago, and then...

Will wrote:
Lamm (or one of his cronies) took care of the killing himself, and Lamm decided the disobedient Shoanti should take the fall for the family's murder.

By "take the fall" you mean he was accused? In Korvosan law, you would must have had a really great advocate, because murder is punishable by torture and death (w/ no appeal) and they've had trouble with Shoanti for like... forever, and would be less inclined to give one a break. Or maybe even one of the gods showed interest in your freedom or one of Lamm's lackeys was seen by an eye-witness.

If there's some sort of history of being accused of murder, it makes perfect sense that you would get a +2 to Intimidate checks. Besides the reputation, you would have spent some time incarcerated because of it, and the experience would have hardened you and made you better at lookin' mean and starin' down foo's.

Quote:
His plans for the future include taking the Leadership feat (Mike, you cool with that?) and (probably inadvertently) building his own tribe, ultimately waging war on the tribe that abandoned him. (Mike, don't panic - just like with Arlanna, we don't have to go through with that part; maybe it happens after the campaign ends, and we can either play through it or leave it unresolved. Or we can do it, but as an almost glossed-over side thing. We can play it by ear.)

We'll play it by ear. I have no problem with the Leadership feat, though I'll have to check if they changed it at all in the Pathfinder beta.

I'll have to get you that Shoanti article.

Last edited by Glammo on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wrote:
Also, Mike, now that I think about it, +2 to Spellcraft is fine. I forgot that they folded Concentration into it. Also, I can play it as him just innately knowing how magicky stuff works, although he doesn't know how he knows. Weeeeeeeee!

-Will

Either way. Though the other way would be cool and have a kewl STORY!!!!! behind it.
Will

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: My Guy (TM) Reply with quote

Glammo wrote:
By "take the fall" you mean he was accused?

Yeah. Don't look at me, it's an option in the Player's Guide! Wink

Glammo wrote:
I'll have to get you that Shoanti article.

Coo'.

-Will
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: My Guy (TM) Reply with quote

Will wrote:
Yeah. Don't look at me, it's an option in the Player's Guide! Wink

Oh yeah, this is the alternate version of Thomas's. Yeah, it means that. And, yeah, I have no problem making up "Acquitted" as one of the traits and it gives you a +2 bonus to Intimidate.

Oh yeah, and Leadership works exactly the same, as of the Beta.
Will

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: My Guy (TM) Reply with quote

Glammo wrote:
Oh yeah, this is the alternate version of Thomas's.

Right. In fact, Chirard could be this guy's lawyer! I'd totally hire Thomas to defend me if I were accused of murder.

What?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> Curse of the Crimson Throne All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: