D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Personal Quests
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> Keep on the Shadowfell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Personal Quests Reply with quote

I mentioned to...I think it was Nik and Mike -- anyway, I mentioned the idea of "personal quests," in which you guys would each come up with a Quest, as defined by the DMG, for your individual characters. Basically, it would just be a goal the character has, something either small and immediate or grand and forward-looking. Then we talk about it and I come up with a level for it, which determines the XP award for completing it.

The neat thing about this? Unlike with more abstract systems for creating goals, you've got this thing written on your character sheet, reminding you every time you look at it, that you'll get a bunch of XPs if you can make them happen. I think that's neat.

What do you guys think? I wouldn't make you do this, but the option is there, and it sounds like fun to me.

-Will
Will

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, to be a dork and reply to my own message - the goal doesn't have to be static. If you create it thinking you want to become the master of the thieves' guild, and it turns out later that you really want to destroy the guild instead, we can just erase your old goal and pencil the new one in. No biggie. The last thing I'd want is for you to feel constrained by a goal you came up with several weeks/months/years ago.

-Will
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

I'm trying to think of ways it could work that don't already give me XP. I mean, putting undead to rest is something that interests Saint Finius, but that already carries a reward with it.

I don't have the DMG pdf on me right now, so I don't really know the guidelines. Maybe I can look into it later.
Will

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

"Putting undead to rest" isn't a Quest. "Destroying Achidius the Vampire-Lord and ending his reign over the kingdom of my birth" is. Whether the goal is small or large, I think it needs to be specific.

Does that help any?

-Will
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... so do I just make shit up (Very Happy) and you the DM will somehow incorporate that later? Or does it become a sidequest?
Will

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Depends on what you mean by "side quest." If you mean "something my character goes off and does by himself," then no, not that. At least, not necessarily.

My thought was that, yes, you make shit up (we can help each other, as a group or one-on-one, if need be, to get details down, etc.), and we all do our parts to incorporate it.

I'll do my part, 'cause I'm cool like that, to incorporate quests into my own prep. It won't be constant or continuous, but it'll happen here and there.

But you would do your part, too, to pursue the resolution of your quest, because not only is it yours, but because you will get sweet, sweet XPs for achieving it.

Furthermore, all of the other players will (probably) do their parts to see that you fulfill your quest (unless it is incompatible with their own quests, which is an interesting idea but unlikely to occur unless it's forced), because the XP award will be divided among the party. (More accurately, we'll call it "X experience points per party member involved"; you won't want to ditch your pals so you can score it all for yourself.) Even if the other PCs don't care much about your quest, the players themselves are likely to come up with reasons for their characters to help yours, wittingly or otherwise, so that they can get a piece of the pie, too.

-Will
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I do like pie. Just what kind of pie are you talking about? I like cherry a lot, but apple is good, too.

</THREADJACK>
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so that sounds interesting.

I think Saint Finius would want to track down that priest of Orcus that was pushed into the Shadowfell and finally put him to death. It gives Saint Finius a good reason for wanting to enter the Shadowfell and save Talon, anyway.
Will

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, cool. Why does he want to kill Kalarel so badly?
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raven Queen is an enemy of Orcus. In desperation, Saint Finius helped push Kalarel into the portal, but this isn't what the Raven Queen intended... she isn't content that the guy is merely banished to perhaps escape and wreck havoc another day. It is Kalarel's destiny to die by Finius's hand.

On top of that, Kalarel is a cocky bastard. Saint Finius don't dig that.
Will

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glammo wrote:
It is Kalarel's destiny to die by Finius's hand.

Oh, snap -- you used the D word.

It's on.

-Will
Will

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note - in this post, I talk about Mike's quest, but I really am talking to everyone and using it as an example. Mike: it's fine for you to keep this quest. The below is just guidelines and clarification.
----

I do want to say again that these are personal quests, not party quests, even though everyone gets a share of the reward. Feel free to make shit up, but I don't want multiple PCs having the same quest (shared quests are fine, but they'll just count as a single quest), and I don't want everyone's quest to be to kill some dude. Smile Also, quests that simply involve the resolution of a conflict are great -- you don't have to decide how to resolve it right away.

As a quick example, instead of "Kill Kalarel," you might say "Neutralize Kalarel as a threat to the world," allowing for the possibility of converting him to your faith, removing the source of his power, banishing him to another plane of existence, convincing him that the world is beautiful and he shouldn't be so mean to it, etc., etc.

Another example: "Resolve the conflict between my faith in the church of Pharasma and my life-debt to Barm." Here, the quest isn't a specific course of action or outcome, but rather to simply figure out what to do. If you go a route like this, make sure you pick a conflict that is fun to have. For instance, even if offered XP, I wouldn't have Ruther just convert to Cayden Cailean and call the whole thing off; nor would I have him compromise his morals and kill (or say bye-bye) to Barm, just for the XP. It's a fun conflict, and I'd drive the game toward resolving it (by taking opportunities to bring it to the forefront), but I wouldn't just castrate it at the first opportunity. Betraying Barm or converting to another religion without truly resolving the conflict would change Ruther to the point that I wouldn't really like playing him anymore. Your conflict-quests should be the same!

-Will
Will

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I read all this stuff again, I realize I'm going all typical crazy Will with his crazy RPG ideas. Feel free to stick to typical accomplishment-based quests. I have no idea if conflict-based quests would even work, but I'm willing to at least try it out. If anyone cares. Otherwise whatever.

D&Ds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

-Will
Glammo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I don't mind. Neutralizing him as a threat works... though death is really more of Saint Finius's thing.

Hmm... I'll have to sit down and think about this. Are they making any Deities and Demigods type book for 4E? I'd like to know more about the Raven Queen. Or we can just make it up.
Will

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, death is cool.

As far as the Raven Queen, I'm all for makin' shit up. Don't know about a deities book, but there's a Manual of the Planes due out next month that will probably cover some of that, at least. However, that doesn't at all preclude the making up of shit by us.

-Will!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> Keep on the Shadowfell All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: