D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[OGL] Break this House Rule

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glammo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: [OGL] Break this House Rule Reply with quote

Level Adjustments
You get HD equal to the level adjustment score of your race. These HD grant a medium BAB, no good saves, half caster/manifester/initiator level (which add to the race's spell progression if they have one, such as a dragon), feats every three HD, and skill points as the base race.

What do you think? Does this fix LA races? It does make PC versions of LA races more powerful than monster versions, though.

Last edited by Glammo on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Glammo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already beginning to realize some things.

Monsters with tons of ability score enhancements can already make up for some of the "penalties" LA enforces. I'm thinking adding skill ranks and a rogue's BAB aren't necessary.
izzat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if there is a surefire way to fix LA without rewriting it top to bottom. It's one of the most abstract systems in 3rd/3.5, and the only real book to try and break it down (Savage Species) was published for Third Edition and never really reexamined.

I'm sure there are 3rd party books that tried their hands at it (AEG, maybe?), but I don't know if any of them handled the material better.
izzat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To actually address the original system, I think it would work for lower LA's, but not higher LA's. Taking away the skillb and BAB would swing it the other way. I doubt there's a level that would work for every character in the MM.

Personally, I don't think the empty levels would help much, anyway. Look at giants, who have low/medium LAs, but tons of hit dice. They get very few abilities, besides size and strength, that account for those hit dice, so a giant PC would play for eight levels until he finally gets rock throwing. Then another seven till he finally gets his first spell. True, the spell would be caster level 8, but think of all he could be doing with a normal build by then.
Glammo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... the abstraction of the monster HD is another problem, then. What exactly are those, anyway? If class levels are measurements of skill and training in a certain "career," what the hell are HD?

Frankly, I think they're just instruments to make monsters tougher challenges. Therefore, they probably don't belong on PCs.

So maybe the problem isn't LA itself. If we take away those monster HD, maybe we're better off trading them in for actual levels and having the LA "empty" levels grant the monster abilities?
Glammo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if we're still trying to keep with the emptyish levels, maybe fractional BAB and saves would be a good thing to implement here in cases of LA +1.

Some monsters probably shouldn't conceivably start at 1st level anyway. I can't imagine a balanced first level giant that actually has the strength you'd expect from a giant. But I'll look at Savage Species and use that as a baseline.

I'm going to dabble with this later, just creating characters and comparing with normal PC races.
Glammo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh... yeah, most monsters would be boring as hell pushing through their HD alone.

Maybe HD should instead be a baseline for the minimum level instead?

Maybe this is not worth fixing because who cares about Stone Giant PCs? Smile
izzat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think that smiley will stop Dorrik Durdedur, Hill Giant Paladin of Slaughter from coming to your house and destroying all your Mike Edition tapes.

Anyway, I think LA/ECL is too big to be fixed by a paragraph or two. The idea itself is sound, but there's too many exceptions out there to apply it across the board.
Glammo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my... ta... tapes? No! Stay away!

Yeah, I'm just brainstorming. I forgot how many HD some of these things have.

I'll think I'll focus on just plausible 1st level races.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: