D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Pathfinder] Retroactive Skill Point Increases/Decreases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: [Pathfinder] Retroactive Skill Point Increases/Decreases Reply with quote

Pathfinder lets changes to Int affect skill points. This means you retroactively gain skill points from increased Int. Yay! (See page 388 of the Beta.)

But... I'm already seeing the cons to retroactive skill point gain from increased Int.

1. In the case of Int damage and drain, which skills go bye bye?
2. In the case of a magical effect that lasts for more than 24 hours (such as wearing a Headband of Intellect or whatever it is now), what prevents someone from taking the HoI off, dropping those extra skills points, and then putting the HoI back on for a new 24 hours and picking different skills this time?

For case #1, maybe it should be similar to a "negative level"? Temporary penalties to all skills for each 2 points of Int damage/drain? This might be a little unfair, as dumb PCs can actually suffer for having their Int hurt (besides getting closer to 0 Int). That might actually be a good thing, but I don't know if any such playing fields need leveling in that case.

As for case #2, I think skill points should not be immediately spent. Maybe they can only be spent when you level. If training rules were in place, yippee skip make the character pay for the costs of time and money to train. Still, you'd have to "unlearn" those points later if you ever take off the thing or step into an anti-magic field.

As of yet, no rules are mentioned to cover these cases (as far as I can see), so at the moment it would be the player's option unless the DM steps in. They really should write some guidelines for this, though.

Thoughts?
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh snap! #2 is covered in the Headband of Vast Intelligence's description text.

Huh. I wonder why my search on "skill points" didn't find that?

OH... it uses the phrase "skill ranks".

Anyway, it seems these headbands have specific skills tied to them. Or a randomly determined Knowledge skill if none is specified. I wonder if that's randomly determined EACH time it's worn or for EACH headband.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: