D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

House Rule Ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: House Rule Ideas Reply with quote

Just had this one off the top of my head:

Quote:
Action Points: In addition to the uses mentioned in the PH, you may also use an action point while in the Dying state to recover, on your turn, exactly as if you had just rolled a natural 20 on your death saving throw. Further, if you have no healing surges remaining, you can still recover in this way, regaining hit points equal to your healing surge value.

What do you think? Just something to make APs a more interesting resource, and to make character death a bit less likely.
Glammo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me! Yay AP!
Will

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another action point idea: spend one action point to auto-hit on an attack. This is done instead of making an attack roll, so there's no chance of critting, and you can't wait and see if you'd hit normally before spending the AP.

Hmm. Might be too powerful in conjunction with daily powers. Maybe spend two APs on dailies, and one on anything else?

-Will!
Glammo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be too powerful for area effects, too.

Maybe a Eberron style bonus to hit? 1d6? 1d4?
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the auto hit, it's too powerful and you're not suppose to be able to spend more than 1 per encounter anyway.

The auto 20 when dying is good, but if you are out of surges I think you are suppose to just be at 1 hp. I'm gotta read that section again.

The way they work now, you just get the chance to do something else, but it's not guaranteed. Maybe it should be, spend an action point when dying and you get to roll again (the result does not count toward the 3 fails u die rule or maybe it does?), but the new roll is at +5 or something? Maybe +9 so you can't "fail" (9 or less), but you might still not get to 20...seems too house rulesy though.

Last edited by quakemonkey on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Will

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I take back the auto-hit idea. As Mike pointed out, it's too good for area effects. Also, I think I was feeling like we were whiffing an awful lot with encounter and daily powers, and with action points. But that's probably just painful because we were playing 1st-level characters; at higher levels, we'll have a bunch of per-encounter and daily powers, so it won't sting so much when we miss with one of them.

For the auto-healing when dying, by the book, if I remember correctly, if you don't have healing surges, you can't come back. A natural 20 is no better than a natural 10. With the original suggested house rule I posted, if you have one or more surges left, you lose it when you come back; if you don't, you basically get a freebie. We could say you just get 1 hp then, as Nik suggests, but my worry there is that it might be near-worthless -- you spend an AP so you can stand up and get killed again. Or maybe you can't come back, and you just auto-stabilize? I dunno.

-Will!
Will

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Uses for Action Points Reply with quote

I don't know why, but I'm thinking about this again. Bump! List some more sweet uses for action points!

I want to revise my earlier "auto-hit" idea: spend 2 action points to get a "natural 20" on your next single attack roll, skill check, ability check, saving throw, etc. I don't care that you're not supposed to use more than one per encounter.

Why do I like this? It gives the player currency with which he can say, "This next roll, here? It's IMPORTANT to me. I will NOT fuck this up." I dig that. It's like gambling your whole entire dice pool in The Pool.

List some more sweet uses for action points!
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some ideas on action points, but currently I can't remember them. I'll have to put my memberin cap on and see if they come back to me.

Also I might argue with you about your 2 action point idea or maybe not...gotta think on that 2!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: