D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"At will powers" removed from PFRPG?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
izzat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: "At will powers" removed from PFRPG? Reply with quote

They are still doing character previews over at paizo.com, but they keep dropping hints

Quote:
First off is a change to how domains work. In the Beta version of the rules, the domains lost their bonus spells and gained a host of special abilities that were gained when the cleric reached certain levels. For the final version of the game, we went back to bonus spells, but we altered the spell lists a bit (you might notice fireball in her 3rd-level list of spells prepared). In addition, we kept some of the special abilities, replacing many of the granted powers. Kyra receives fire bolt and sun's blessing at 1st level. Fire bolt allows her to shoot rays of fire a limited number of times per day. The sun's blessing power adds to Kyra's channel energy ability and prevents undead from adding their turn resistance to their saves to resist her channeled energy (but more on how this works in a bit). At 6th level, the fire domain grants Kyra fire resistance (that increases as she gains levels). At 8th level she gains the nimbus of light ability from the sun domain. This powerful ability allows her to shed light like daylight for a number of rounds per day equal to her cleric level. This dispels any darkness effect and deals damage to undead in the area at the beginning of Kyra's turn (1 point per cleric level per round).

In alpha/beta, Fire bolt could be used at will. It was very handy at lower levels, then less so at higher levels when you had more spells/abilities at your disposal. At this point, we don't know how many times a day it can be used, so it might not even matter in game play.

What do you guys think? Orik and the Outcast of the Cinderlands certainly used similar powers quite a bit.
izzat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I neglected to mention that casters still get 0-level spells that can be cast at will. But the difference between acid splash and acid bolt is noticeable even at first level.
Glammo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I don't really mind. I have an at-will called a ranged weapon. It's not as nice, though.

I wonder if the at-wills are only going away for the cleric... we only saw one of the bloodlines of the sorcerers.

Hmms!!!
izzat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, this is all speculative on my part. Assuming that ALL domains work this way, and that the druid has access to domains, etc.

That said, the beta did a good job of balancing bloodline/domain/school powers, so I would be surprised if changes to domains were not reflected in the other power sources.

If that happens, I'm going to miss my "Star Trek" abjurer who could throw deflector shields up as a standard action. That's the biggest loss for me as a player/dm: the idea that the character got ONE thing that represented their calling that they could do all the time. Of course, ANY unlimited supernatural power can and will be abused.
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "At will powers" removed from PFRPG? Reply with quote

izzat wrote:
In alpha/beta, Fire bolt could be used at will. It was very handy at lower levels, then less so at higher levels when you had more spells/abilities at your disposal. At this point, we don't know how many times a day it can be used, so it might not even matter in game play.

It can be used 8 times a day (once per class level). See below : )

Paizo wrote:
Special Attacks channel positive energy (4d6, 4d6+8 vs. undead, DC 17, 4/day), fire bolt (+5 ranged touch, 1d6+4 fire, 8/day), nimbus of light (8 rounds/day)
izzat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[pedantic] Although a reasonable assumption, it doesn't explicitly say that. [/pedantic] Also, I hope there's some other formula, otherwise you get it once or twice a day when you need it most.
Glammo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could just be 3 + Wis mod. I'm hoping it is.
quakemonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzat wrote:
[pedantic] Although a reasonable assumption, it doesn't explicitly say that. [/pedantic] Also, I hope there's some other formula, otherwise you get it once or twice a day when you need it most.

Oh I mis-understood you. I thought you meant you didn't know how many times a day the sample character could use it, not that you don't know what the formula is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: