D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index D&D Heroes Forums
Web forums for our little corner of the gamingverse

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planetouched

Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> Curse of the Crimson Throne
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glammo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Planetouched Reply with quote

Aasimar Racial Traits
      +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, -2 to one ability score: Aasimars are wise and strong-willed, but must take a –2 penalty on one ability score of their choice at creation, to represent the varied effects of their dual heritage.
      Outsider (native): Aasimars are outsiders who are native to the Material Plane. Unlike true outsiders, native outsiders must eat, breathe and sleep, but can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. In addition, aasimars gain HD and weapon and armor proficiencies only by aquiring levels in a character class.

Medium: Aasimars are medium creatures, and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
      Normal speed: Aasimars have a base speed of 30 feet.

Darkvision 60 feet: Aasimars can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
      Keen Senses: Aasimars receive a +2 racial bonus on sight- and sound-based Perception checks.

Celestial Body (Ex): Inheriting part of a celestials resilience against toxins and magic, aasimars receive a +1 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
      Divine Beauty (Ex): Aasimars receive a +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy checks when interacting with humanoids. If an aasimar is under an effect that changes its form dramatically (i.e., polymorphed into a bird, or glamered to appear to be an average member of another race), this bonus does not apply.
      Planar Resistance (Ex): Being born from celestials, aasimars inherit a bit of elemental resistance. Aasimars begin play with one of three resistances: acid 5, cold 5, or electricity 5.
        When aasimars reach 6 HD, they receives another resistance from the above list that hasn't already been received from this racial trait.
        At 9 HD, aasimars receive the remaining resistance not already selected from the above list.
        At 15 HD, pick one of the resistances to increase to 10
      Celestial Magic (Sp): Aasimars with a Charisma score of 13 or higher gain the following spell-like ability: 1/day—daylight. The caster level for this effect is equal to the aasimar’s level.

Languages: Aasimars begin play speaking Common and Celestial. Aasimars with high Intelligence scores can choose any of the following: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan.

Favored Class: The favored class of aasimars is paladin or cleric. This choice must be made at 1st level and cannot be changed.

Last edited by Glammo on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:34 pm; edited 19 times in total
    Glammo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiefling Racial Traits
        +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 to one ability score: Tieflings are quick in body as well as wit, but must take a –2 penalty on one ability score of their choice at creation, to represent the varied effects of their dual heritage.
        Outsider (native): Tieflings are outsiders who are native to the Material Plane. Unlike true outsiders, native outsiders must eat, breathe and sleep, but can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. In addition, tieflings gain HD and weapon and armor proficiencies only by aquiring levels in a character class.

Medium: Tieflings are medium creatures, and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
        Normal speed: Tieflings have a base speed of 30 feet.

Darkvision 60 feet: Tieflings can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
        Obscured Nature: Tieflings receive a +2 racial bonus on Bluff and Stealth checks.

Fiendish Vigor (Ex): Inheriting part of a fiends resilience against toxins and magic, tieflings receive a +1 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
        Wicked Visage (Ex): Tieflings receives a +2 circumstance bonus on Intimidate checks when interacting with humanoids. If a tiefling is under an effect that changes its form dramatically (i.e., polymorphed into a bat, or glamered to appear to be an average member of another race), this bonus does not apply.
        Planar Resistance (Ex): Being born from fiends, tieflings inherit a bit of elemental resistance. Tieflings begin play with one of three resistances: cold 5, electricity 5, or fire 5.
          When tieflings reach 6 HD, they receive another resistance from the above list that hasn't already been received from this racial trait.
          At 9 HD, tieflings receive the remaining resistance not already selected from the above list.
          At 15 HD, pick one of the resistances to increase to 10.
        Fiendish Magic (Sp): Tieflings with an Intelligence score of 12 or higher gain the following spell-like ability: 1/day—darkness. The caster level for this effect is equal to the tiefling’s level.

Languages: Tieflings begin play speaking Common and either Infernal or Abyssal. Tieflings with high Intelligence scores can choose any of the following: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Orc.

Favored Class: The favored class of tieflings is rogue or wizard. This choice must be made at 1st level and cannot be changed.

Last edited by Glammo on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:33 pm; edited 8 times in total
      izzat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower the resistances to 2, and let them increase with character level. (possibly by spending a feat.)

I had heard, although I can't find it in print, that favored classes are becoming even looser. Basically, all PHB races get Favored class: Any. Will you go that route, or keep them as is for another balancing factor for outside races?
      Glammo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I originally had done... but then I realized resistances are always multiples of 5's. I guess it doesn't really matter, though.
      izzat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ALWAYS... there's an alternate class feature for the Barb that gives him cold resistance in increments of 2. Admittedly, that is the only example that comes to mind.
      Glammo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There. How about that? It depends on the Con bonus... of which neither race gets an racial bonus on anyway so it can't be 5 right away and if anyone really wants it so bad at first level, I don't mind an 18 Con giving away 4 since other stats will suffer.

Last edited by Glammo on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
      Will

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You misspelled "deva."

-Will (you're welcome!) Twisted Evil
      izzat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I approve. Stamp it with the Pathfinder logo and publish.
      Glammo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wrote:
      You misspelled "deva."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! ::slaps face with alternating hands::

izzat wrote:
      I approve. Stamp it with the Pathfinder logo and publish.

Pathfinder'd!!!
      quakemonkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the resistances thing. It should just be 5, basing it on Con does not fit with the way 3.5 works.

I haven't really had time to look at different races to get a good feel for when a LA should kick in, but I would just have the player pick one or two (probably should be one) of the resistance types at character creation and set that resistance at 5.

Celestial Body/Fiendish Vigor is a good idea, but i think it is still too powerful for a race that has no LA. I would just give them a +1 to Will saves.

Did you look at the write ups for these two races in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide? I would use that and either weaken or strengthen the write ups as Pathfinder balancing with no LA requires.
      Glammo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quakemonkey wrote:
      I don't like the resistances thing. It should just be 5, basing it on Con does not fit with the way 3.5 works.

I haven't really had time to look at different races to get a good feel for when a LA should kick in, but I would just have the player pick one or two (probably should be one) of the resistance types at character creation and set that resistance at 5.

Well, this ain't 3.5. This is Pathfinder, bitchass! Cool

Seriously, though, what mechanically is the problem with this setup? At 1st level the resistances will most likely be 2 or 3, which isn't too bad. Later on as you get stat boosts they go up, and thus are more useful.

Granted, I'd like to include a few racial features that are proactive rather than reactive, but I'd don't think this is overpowered

quakemonkey wrote:
      Celestial Body/Fiendish Vigor is a good idea, but i think it is still too powerful for a race that has no LA. I would just give them a +1 to Will saves.

Crazy dwarves would disagree.

quakemonkey wrote:
      Did you look at the write ups for these two races in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide? I would use that and either weaken or strengthen the write ups as Pathfinder balancing with no LA requires.

No, I looked at the SRD, which is good enough for me. I think the FR aasimar has light 1/day instead of sunlight 1/day. I think that's ridiculously weak.

I tried looking at the FR genasi, too. I'd just as soon make up my own versions entirely from scratch. I'd rather make genasi more interesting than the FR genasi, since Pathfinder's cosmology may work a little differently.
      quakemonkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
      Well, this ain't 3.5. This is Pathfinder, bitchass! Cool

Seriously, though, what mechanically is the problem with this setup? At 1st level the resistances will most likely be 2 or 3, which isn't too bad. Later on as you get stat boosts they go up, and thus are more useful.

Granted, I'd like to include a few racial features that are proactive rather than reactive, but I'd don't think this is overpowered

I don't think there is anything wrong with it or that it is overpowered. I just don't think that it is inline with the way 3.5 or Pathfinder works is all.

Quote:
      Crazy dwarves would disagree.

Disagreeing with me doesn't make them right! Also, dwarves don't get resistances and spell like abilities. You could be right though, maybe it is fine. I think giving the aasimar and tiefling these bonuses though kinda steps on the dwarves toes (it's kinda there thing cuz they are so tough and grumpy), but thats just me.

my other answer is, ok

Quote:
      No, I looked at the SRD, which is good enough for me. I think the FR aasimar has light 1/day instead of sunlight 1/day. I think that's ridiculously weak.

yay ok yay i got mail yay!!!

Quote:
      I tried looking at the FR genasi, too. I'd just as soon make up my own versions entirely from scratch. I'd rather make genasi more interesting than the FR genasi, since Pathfinder's cosmology may work a little differently.

FORFIS ADDISIOOONNNN!!!!!! = cooler genasi with lamer look IMHO

3.5 genasi look + 4e mechanics = win, epic even
      Glammo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quakemonkey wrote:
      I think giving the aasimar and tiefling these bonuses though kinda steps on the dwarves toes...

You might be right about that.

I'll cut the planetouch's spell save/poison bonus to +1. To compensate, I'm going to want to give them each something else proactive like I said before. Something different for each planetouched, though... hmm...
      Glammo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I looked over a lot of the races made for 3.5 and I agree with Nik. If there are any variables in a racial trait, they are derived from HD.

Final draft!

izzat wrote:
      I had heard, although I can't find it in print, that favored classes are becoming even looser. Basically, all PHB races get Favored class: Any. Will you go that route, or keep them as is for another balancing factor for outside races?

As for this... Idunno. For now let's keep it this way.

Last edited by Glammo on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
      Post new topic   Reply to topic    D&D Heroes Forums Forum Index -> Curse of the Crimson Throne All times are GMT - 5 Hours
      Page 1 of 1

Jump to: